Sunday, July 8, 2012

Last Weekend in Milwaukee & Chicago

Last weekend was my first time visiting and meeting Jeff's family in the Midwest.  I was a bit apprehensive because Milwaukee is not really a major destination. I thought that I was going to be one of those long weekends of nothing but was I surprised with all the city has to offer.
First stop, Pabst mansion.  Now, Frederick Pabst was an American Brewer in the 19th century and to this day, thanks to the efforts of a few concerned citizens of Milwaukee, his mansion stills stands.  No photography was allowed inside but the door itself is but an indication to the treasures lie within.  I highly recommend visiting this Flemish Renaissance revival mansion if you do ever visit Milwaukee.

In the afternoon, we went to the Sprecher Brewing Company.  With their variety of beers and sodas, the $5 entry fee is well worth the free tasting after the tour.
The following morning, Jeff and I trekked to the Milwaukee Art Museum. This was to be the highlight of my visit. We got there just in time before it opened so the "wings" of the building were not unfurled yet. This has got to be the most beautiful building museum that I have ever seen in my travels. Not only was the museum a sight to see, but its location next to Lake Michigan afforded spectacular views from inside.



In the lobby we were greeted by a Chihuly. Magnificent!
And being a bonafide Francophile, the current exhibition of Parisian posters was definitely a bonus.
The permanent collection is host to a Bouguereau and 
a Lachaise...
but it's the building by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava that truly takes your breath away. 
That evening, we braved the heat to go to Summerfest! It was here that I first got a taste of fried cheese curds, bratwurst and roasted corn dipped in butter.  Not the healthiest but it sure was yummy!

The following morning was a Sunday, so Holy Mass at Old Saint Mary's was in order.
I was so inspired by the old Parisian posters from MAM that I decided to have quiche and onion soup at a local French cafe.
The next day, we drove an hour and a half to spend a few hours at the Art Institute of Chicago to see the masterpieces of...
...El Greco
...Seurat
...Van Gogh
...another Bouguereau
...Wood
...and a special exhibit on Roy Lichtenstein

Needless to say, I was truly happy to be amidst all this artwork. 
Obviously before we headed back to Milwaukee,  I had to walk the Magnificent Mile that is Michigan Avenue to be proudly greeted at the onset by a Philippine Flag in one of its buildings and ending my hot hike (it was like in the 90s that day) at none other than...
...a Louis Vuitton boutique.


Our last day in Milwaukee the following morning was spent seeing the Bronze Fonz and
 having the last hoorah by having lunch at Kopps...with frozen custard of course.  
LVoe, LVoe, LVoe it!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: I created this blog for the sole purpose of sharing my passion and obsession for the brand that is Louis Vuitton. I am in no way, shape, or form connected with this company nor its subsidiaries. This is my personal blog and the views and opinions expressed herein represent my own and not those of the people, institutions, or organizations that I may or may not be related to, unless stated explicitly. Also, my thoughts and opinions change from time to time as I learn and develop my understanding regarding the things and issues that I am blogging about. This blog provides a snapshot of the knowledge, views, and opinions that I hold at that particular moment in time and these might change. I reserve the right to evolve my knowledge, thoughts, and viewpoints over time and to change them without assigning any reason. My blog includes links to other sites or blogs operated by third parties. These are provided as a means of convenient access to you for the information or opinion contained therein. I am in no way responsible for the content of any other sites or any products or services that may be offered through other sites. I try my very best to credit photos, articles, or videos that are contained herein. I hope you enjoy reading my blog as much as I enjoy writing it. Drop me a line 4dluvoflv@gmail.com. Thanks and here's wishing you LVoe!!!